These competitions generally have unusual obstacles, ranging from belly-crawling through mud to stacking kegs -- not your typical 5k. They have been mainstays in areas where extreme sports are more popular, but the local area has plenty of opportunities to demonstrate how hardcore you are. Here are some of our suggestions. Make sure to pay attention to whether you need any special gear (eg. mountain bike and helmet), early registration dates to avoid price hikes, and whether it's team or individual.
- June 9 - Wild Goose Chase, Warsaw: Features hiking, biking, and orienteering; part of the Northern Indiana Lakes Festival so you can keep on celebrating all day. http://www.metzgeroutdoors.com/WildGoosechase.php
- June 16/17 - Tough Mudder, Badlands Offroad Park (Western Indiana): The course has a collaborative spirit and the goal is to finish the grueling 10-12 miles of obstacles. Benefits Wounded Warrior Project. http://www.warriordash.com/register2012_indiana.php
- July 21 - Mudathlon, : Their tagline is "Mud - Obstacles - Beer." Seems like that about sums it up? http://www.mudathlon.com/ There is also an Indianapolis race on June 30.
- July 28 - Urban Adventure Games, South Bend: A competitive two-person race that takes all over the South Bend area. Featured last year by 365 South Bend: http://365southbend.blogspot.com/2011/08/211-urban-adventure-games.html. Avoid high fees by registering now for 2012: http://urbanadventuregames.com/
- August 11 - Warrior Dash, Crawfordsville (Central Indiana): Three miles of running over walls, under ropes, and amongst obstacles...in other words, for those looking to prove they have cojones. http://www.warriordash.com/register2012_indiana.php
|Looks like fun, right?|