Wednesday, February 9, 2011

#125: Oldies 94.3

Yes, we live in a world of iPods, iTouches, iPhones, and iPads (not to mention digital radio) with even CD's shrinking quickly in our rearview mirror, but I'd like to take today to make the case for good, old-fashioned FM radio. And honestly, when you have a station as great as this one, the case becomes much easier to make. We've previously mentioned one of our favorite radio stations, but 94.3, out of Plymouth, Indiana and serving the Michiana area, is also a gem. 

For many years, I didn't think oldies were my cup of tea, and it's only recently that I've discovered that not only is the term misleading and incredibly broad, but that "oldies", per se, actually encompass some of my favorite music and musicians. Maybe this only became apparent after listening extensively to 94.3 which never fails to surprise me with its fun, energetic, and nostalgic selection.  This selection, like the term "oldies" itself, is noticeably broad, and, in general, the station plays music from the 1970's and earlier, in a variety of genres. Sure, you're not going to get obscure B-side tracks from lesser-known musicians of the era(s), but some days, tuning in to hear Franki Valli's falsetto on "Oh What a Night" isn't such a bad thing. Since I've been listening, 94.3 has struck me as one of the best stations of its kind, and, well, supporting local radio isn't such a bad thing either.

For more information on the station, visit their website here, and I'll leave you with the song that was playing on my drive home from school today.


No comments:

Post a Comment