Sunday, January 2, 2011

#95: The Snite Museum of Art


The Snite Museum of Art at the University of Notre Dame runs a little more to the obvious end of our “obvious to obscure” scale here at 365 South Bend, but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth mentioning. Particularly because, even though it might be obvious to many, some people might still have not made it over. Including me. Well, including me until about three weeks ago. I had an open Tuesday afternoon and spontaneously decided to take a 45-minute quiet walk through the Snite Galleries.



I spent most of my time on the second floor which features the European collection, the Modern collection, and (at the time I went) several highlights from their American collection.  All of those aforementioned collections were enjoyable (and I still can't believe I hadn't been before), but I’m featuring the Snite today for their collection of Goya etchings currently on display in the first floor Paper Gallery until January 9. The Snite always has great featured exhibitions (I’m particularly excited for the upcoming “19th Century Landscape Photography), and the Goya etchings are definitely not an exception.  Beyond the featured exhibits, the Snite boasts more than 24,000 works of art, and is, without question, a South Bend experience not to be missed. So take your own quiet afternoon in the New Year and check it out.

Go here to learn more about the Snite.


TIP: The Snite (like most museums) is closed on Mondays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment