Thursday, September 30, 2010

#30: Chicory Cafe

I've never personally been to New Orleans, but if I'd ever had, I imagine I would take pleasure in the little touches the Chicory Cafe makes to bring a lil' Creole to South Bend, Indiana.  Instead of the typical egg sandwich on a bagel or croissant, here you can get an egg po'boy.  Many of the cafe tables double as checkers boards, and you notice that the pace inside seems much more relaxed.  You won't hear the rattle of coffee jargon ("Double Non-fat Extra-Hot Tall..."); perhaps the jazz is just playing too loud.

Despite its location on the corner of two busy downtown streets, Chicory Cafe is a bright little haven and a fun place to unwind for as much time as you have.  The coffee is delicious, and they serve Italian-size cups of cappucino, and the intriguing Spanish latte (cinnamon + half-an-half) that I have yet to try.  There are sandwiches and soups and salads as any coffee shop should have, and if you want something sweet with your java, try a beignet, a powdery French doughnut.

Beignets (ben-gnay), the official state doughnut of Louisiana
 Oh, and they have gelato, as if as to remind you that this isn't the French Quarter, but Indiana, the crossroads of America.

When to go: Monday-Friday, 6:30 am - 5:00 pm; Saturday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Where: Corner of Michigan and Jefferson
Website: http://www.chicorycafe.net/
Tip: The price is right for a quick breakfast-- a small cappucino or an order of 3 beignets both price in at under $2

1 comment:

  1. I've been here a few times since I work downtown - great cafe au lait, the beignets are awesome. When the weather is nice I loved sitting outside with an au lait and an order of beignets! I've only eaten lunch here once and I got the jambalaya - it was really disappointing. Not just a little disappointing, but majorly disappointing. I make better jambalaya at home. There just wasn't any flavor to it. I've heard the po'boys are good though from a co-worker so maybe I will give it another try.

    ReplyDelete